Every year my family celebrates Memorial Day weekend at the lake. We LOVE the kick-off to summer. And what better way to celebrate than our annual family BBQ?
After a day on the boat, we all head back to the house where we enjoy smoked chicken, potato salad, Arnold Palmers, and the best peach cobbler around (courtesy of my brother-in-law). My dad is grill master, while my sister takes charge of the sides and drinks. Over the years, I have been assigned to the most fun of duties – at least I like to think so. I’m in charge of plating the food and decorating the table.
Being that May is National BBQ Month, and I am getting ready to decorate for the family weekend, I only found it fitting to share my must-haves for a summer BBQ event. Along with decorating essentials, I have included two of our family favorite recipes.
- Chalkboard Beverage Tub – I love storing our sodas and beers in this personalized cooler. It even comes with a bottle opener!
- Homemade Dip Cup Set – The BBQ sauce (recipe below) does not stay around for more than a minute, so we use a couple of these dip cups. It’s the perfect way for everyone to take the amount they want.
- Today’s Special Platter Set – I use this to showcase my dad’s BBQ chicken and pulled pork sliders. It can even be used for Hors d’oeuvres!
- Ceramic Chalkboard Pitcher – My aunts refreshing lemonade always fills up this pitcher (recipe below), but not for long! Fill it with a cocktail for an adult party.
- Chalkboard Jar – Since my family is so big, this is a fun way to keep from picking up someone else’s drink. It is also a great way to keep the kids entertained for a bit.
- Preserve Jar Place Card Bud Vase – This is my favorite piece that I continuously use each year. I select fresh, seasonal flowers and arrange them in the vase with DIY place cards. It adds a special touch.
- Rope Handle Cocktail Set – We like to take time to enjoy the BBQ, so we tend to have a cocktail hour once we get off the lake. I like to use these for our cheese and summer sausage plate.
- Galvanized Metal Pitcher – While this can be used for drinks, I love using it as the main centerpiece, styled with bright flowers. You can even use it to as a creative way to store the napkins and silverware.
- Preserve Jar Napkin Ring – A finishing touch to tie everything together. A way to add a little pizazz to the table setting.
Happy National BBQ month!